Sunday, October 9, 2011

C4T #2

summary of both articles:

I enjoyed both articles by Jeff. The first was interesting to me because of the personal attachment to Microsoft Word. I have grown up with it. I understand where he's coming from and in some ways he's right. Google Docs has passed Word. But there are other areas where he's a little off. Plus the new version of Word that's about to come out puts them back on par and even passes Docs in some ways.

The second article hit home with me because of personal conversations I've had with my uncle who farms for a living. I help him out constantly on the farm and he has nice equipment. Four John Deere tractors that are all fairly new and all he talks about are the new one's that have GPS and how you don't even have to steer. I think it's crazy how fast some stuff is progressing while other things aren't. I enjoyed both of his articles very much.


This was my comment on the first article "10 REASONS TO TRASH WORD FOR GOOGLE DOCS".

My name is Jonathan Giles and I’m a student at the University of South Alabama currently taking Dr. Strange’s EDM 310 class. I think there is a place for both right now. Google Docs has come a long way and it has many positives over Word. However, Word is still what I use for serious projects and papers and I mainly only use Docs for blogs and less important material. Plus, as you stated, Word is making a lot of changes for future versions. It may take a while, but Microsoft always catches up.

Having said that, I’m very happy Dr. Strange had us use Google Docs. The last time I fiddled around with it was a few years ago in high school and it was garbage. Now, it’s almost right there with Word and as I said, surpasses it some area’s. I thought your blog post was very professional and brought up some great points. I can’t wait to see which one is the preferred tool 5 years from now.


The second post I commented on was "WHERE WAS THIS WHEN I WAS GROWING UP?"

This was my comment:
I can definitely relate to this. I have and continue to help my Uncle Gary Underwood on his farm. He grows and sells his own pecans as well grows his own nursery. He always talks about wanting one of the new tractors that can drive itself and he is going to purchase one in the not too distant future. I really enjoyed your article. You make great points and I think this is making farming look like a lazy job (if you can afford these EXPENSIVE toys) when it has always been viewed as a job for hard workers. It’s kind of funny.

blog of words

No comments:

Post a Comment