Saturday, October 22, 2011

Blog Post #9

What I learned This Year 2009-2010 Blog Post:

Mr. Joe McClung Wrote a very informative blog post . He filled it with tons of information that I'll borrow and use myself when I start teaching. He mentioned he thought he knew it all when he started teaching and that he got a big head after his first year only to be humbled in his second. Sometimes it takes for us to get smacked up side the face before we truly realize we can be so much better. And not better for ourselves. Better for those around us. Those who truly matter. Keeping a humble attitude is huge in my opinion to be the best teacher/person we can be for our students.

He mentioned plenty of other things such as finding a school mom. I was already going to do this ha ha. It only seems smart and natural to try and form friendships with those who've been in the trenches longer than we have. It can only benefit you as a teacher to do so. He then spoke of fluid lesson plans, letting the kids be a part of everyday functions, doing all you can to make whatever subject your teaching interesting. I could go on and on, but I respect people like Joe. He wrote a wonderful blog post and seems like a great person. I would want him to teach my child.

What I Learned This year 2010-2011 Blog Post:

Joe McClung seems like he's progressing nicely through the years and really becoming a successful teacher. I loved this point about not being afraid to stand out. I'm not a teacher yet but I have been working with school kids through sports and I will start subbing soon and I've personally witnessed the naysayer teachers. The ones who are always down, who tell you don't get into education, etc... I've learned not to listen to them. Like Joe said, at one point, they were truly excited and passionate about something. We just have to find a way to bring us back to that spot. It it's important enough, you'll do it.

I like how he talked about how he's getting more comfortable in his routine and everything and that it has made him a lot more effective from a time management stand point. However, he was quick to point out getting comfortable can lead to being that type of teacher we all couldn't stand when we were in school. Know that you work for the student's, not anyone else. They are the ones who truly matter. I thoroughly enjoyed the point he made about letting the kids do the work themselves instead of doing it for them. Sure, it may frustrate us that they aren't picking up the hints we've left for them, but (and I can speak from personal experience) letting them do things for themselves will make them so much more proud of themselves in the end.

blog of words

2 comments:

  1. Good job on your post! I would have to agree with your points. I think this is a great way to become successful in your career.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post is good but you did not include links!

    ReplyDelete