Sunday, October 16, 2011

Blog Post #8

This is How We Dream

I thought Dr. Miller's video was interesting. I mean, he never really said anything I haven't heard before, but he did a good job of emphasizing his points. I think it's ironic how our world has changed. My Grandmother, parents, and so many others had no idea what the future would bring. Most of those generations when they were young thought there would be flying cars, clones, and all kinds of crazy stuff. They couldn't have been more wrong.

What's so fascinating to me is "how the world has actually changed" over time. Programs built upon programs. Text messaging, the internet, being in a connected world. Those are the main ways the world has changed. Tapping into existing technology but making things faster, more fluid, more responsive, innovative, etc. And it's all happened right in front of us and many of us never realized it was happening and now technology is evolving too fast to keep up? I disagree.

We don't know how 'behind we are' because no one's even tried to start using technology in schools for the most part. For crying out loud, this is the only class i've taken in my life that puts technology at the forefront of the class. I love it. I wish my others were like this. I feel jipped. It's unbelievable that of all the classes i've taken in my life and even now at South, this is the only one that's like this. I'm going against some of the things I've said in the past, but technology is going to pass us? It can't because we haven't given it a chance to. I think it's all hypocritical. When can we expect the public school system to be tech driven when College Universities still aren't?

Blog Post #12 by: Carly Pugh

I don't know Carly but after reading that, she's earned my respect. I thought her blog post was wonderful. She has great idea's fueled by passion. She seems real. I think she would be a wonderful teacher. I thought it was interesting the point she made about how book reports and such are a thing of the past. I couldn't agree more.

Carly and Dr. Miller seem to be on the same page. I think the difference is Carly seems like she would do a better job of implementing ways to make it truly useful and exciting. The points she made about how to connect with kids on their level to make class more interesting is what teaching is all about. If you can do that you can teach them anything. I'm already working with kids at Foley High on the football team and if you can get a good relationship going and get them to trust you, it's amazing how receptive they can become. I loved all of Carly's ideas and work.

The Chipper Series and EDM310 for Dummies Video's

These two video's got the point across. I think if I were to do a video it would be one that was definitely preaching to the choir. It would harp on procrastination. Something I may never master but I'll never stop trying. Another video I'd make is to not stress out about this class. The work you actually do isn't difficult in my opinion. It's knowing WHAT TO DO. As I said I'm preaching to myself here because I know I could a better job myself of staying connected and asking more questions to those who truly know what's going on (teacher's, aids, etc).

The central message of the Chipper series is don't make excuses and don't procrastinate. And if you do, don't blame others for it. Eventually in this life, if you haven't done it already, you're going to have to start doing things yourself. You can't rely on other people. You might as well start now. On the EDM310 is for dummies It's pretty self explanatory. Don't let it stress you out. It encourages you to read their book but I don't believe you have to. If you put in the effort you'll get the results.

Learn to Change, Change to Learn Video

This video talks about how the school system needs to change and I agree with what they all had to say. As I've said before, I think there is still a place for SOME things but overall the structure has got to be updated. I disagree with a central message, however, that almost all of these video's we've been watching in this class seem to be preaching that education is dead, that ALL the information is out there, you can Google everything so the only thing a teacher is good for is to show them how to do/operate stuff. Yeah that is largely true, but the people in these video's speak as if everything has already been done and there's no where else we can go. At least that is what I'm getting out of it.

They keep mentioning these things and I'm not sure what to think of it. I think there's still a place for original teaching as well as incorporating technology. We shouldn't be told that all we are is the gateway to show kids how to do stuff. That's not fulfilling to me. I believe they are dumbing down the future meaning of being a teacher. How long can you teach a student how to look things up, operate Word or Docs, blog, etc. They all operate similarly and aren't really difficult to learn. The school system needs to change. There is no doubt about that. I may be getting the wrong message from some of these video's, but I call it like I see it. Having said that, I'm really enjoying this class and almost all of our assignments.


blog of words

2 comments:

  1. Where are your links? Bloggers who visit your blog will want to see the videos you're writing about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, you have a very interesting view on Learn to Change, Change to Learn! It was enlightening to read. However, the message of the video is that teachers should opt to change before complaining that the whole school system to change. You wrote that the message is for school systems to change.

    ReplyDelete