Sunday, October 30, 2011

Blog Post #10

Do You Teach or Do You Educate?

What a wonderful video. I've always said that if I become a teacher, I'll be so much more than that. A friend, a mentor, a role model, a guide, etc as well as an educator. It's WHY I got into teaching in the first place! I actually get to start that journey on Monday of next week (10/07/11) as I will get to teach a class for the first time in my life. I'll be subbing 9th grade at Foley High School (where I attended) for four consecutive days. I couldn't be more excited about it. I will do my best to be an educator not just a teacher.

The video itself spoke to me because it's something I wish I could tell the world all the time but I fear it wouldn't reach enough people. I'm already around teachers that have simply got into that routine (and have been in it for SOME TIME NOW) and they just go through the motions. While I think that is inevitable to an extent, I hope to be as different, yet effective, as I can be in the classroom. I hope my goal starts to be reached next week!


Tom Johnson's Don't Let Them Take the Pencils Home!

Tom Johnson is a very interesting person. This was an odd argument. Taking pencils home? I understand it was illustrating a point but still... I think his response to Gertrude was one of integrity and class. Instead of arguing about the problem, Tom tried to find a solution. He also seems like the kind of teacher I want to be. One that thinks outside the box.

Also, to me he embodies something we did in our first assignment above in Blog Post #10 and that is being an educator, not just a teacher. He's looking at the big picture of what could be best for his students, and not only worrying about test scores etc. Who knows, his method might be better for his student's than Gertrude's in all honesty. I hope I remember what I've read from Tom and be able to apply it when I start teaching!

blog of words

3 comments:

  1. Good luck substituting for a ninth grade class!
    Did you understand what the pencils symbolized in Tom Johnson's post?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You missed the metaphor as Jacey-Blair indicated with her question. Pencils are a metaphor for computers or technology. You are not the first. Additional Assignment: Read these three posts:

    1. Metaphors: What They Are and Why We Use Them

    In that post there is a Special Assignment. Do that assignment in a new post which is Additional Post #1. It does NOT substitute for Blog Post #14 as it did in the Spring semester.

    Due midnight Sunday November 20, 2011.

    2. Metaphor Discussion Update

    3. Jennifer Asked: Why Use Metaphors? Here is My Answer

    4. For more information also see:
    You Missed the Point! It's Not A Pencil…"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jonathan,
    You have written a good post. I agree that becoming a teacher is more than just teaching students. We should also help to guide them and mold them to become our future. Also, I wish you the best of luck being a substitute. Keep up the good work.
    Charlie

    ReplyDelete