Sunday, November 6, 2011

Blog Post #11

Little Kids, Big Potential & Kathy Cassidy's Skype Conversation

I enjoyed watching "Little Kids...Big Potential" in addition to "The Skype Conversation". It amazes me what all kids, LITTLE KIDS, can do on computers these days. When i was in kindergarten the internet, blogs, etc didn't exist. That to me is the biggest difference between my generation and this generation. We are using the same technology, but they are growing up with it while we didn't as much. I think Mrs. Kathy using Nintendo DS's in the classroom is brilliant. Being a gamer myself, that's something I've thought about doing myself. The biggest issue with it is trusting the student's to use it for it's intended purposes. As long as you keep a close eye on things it could be a true asset to helping your student's learn. I personally think more so than the internet, blogs, etc, that games are the real future. Those who are inventing great learning games that actually keep kids interested and don't bore them to death are ahead of the curve.

The fact that Kathy has been doing this for so long is what surprised me the most. I wish I had her when I was a young student! Based on some of her comments in the Skype conversation, I believe her student's will be ahead of the curve and ready for whatever is thrown at them. She also changes with the times. Something we will all have to do as teachers. I am fascinated by all of Mrs. Kennedy's work.

blog of words

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jonathan,

    It also amazes me what kids can do on computers today. I would think trusting them to use the technology appropriately would be an issue as well. But if we lay down some rules, and monitor their use, it might not be much of a problem. Every video we've seen so far related to kids using technology in the classroom seems to show kids having fun incorporating these resources for their lessons. Maybe we underestimate them just a little.

    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would LOVE to play games all day but it is hard to find games that cover everything that needs to be taught. Interesting idea, though- that games could possibly be the most effective way to educate. It's a very good idea.

    ReplyDelete