Sunday, September 11, 2011

Blog Post #3

It's Not About the Technology

This article is very insightful and one in which I agree with in many ways. I also believe technology needs to be pushed and we need to find new ways to use it in the classroom. However, in my time in school, some of the best teacher's I had that had the most impact on my life were the old school teacher's that had been around since my parent's were in school. They taught me about the most important things in life. About family, values, honor, how to be a man, etc. Technology isn't needed for these things. I hope as future teachers, we don't lost sight of what some of the old school teacher's brought/bring to the table.

Kelly hit some key points in her post citing teacher's must be learners and that technology is useless without good teaching. While I stand by my first paragraph above, I believe this is where I think new teacher's such as myself, can have a greater impact than those from the last generation. I hope to be somewhat old school in how I interact with my student's (when I'm not using technology) but i love technology and it fascinates me so I plan on bringing the best of both worlds to my future students. I think it is very important not to forget the teaching we received, the principles we learned as student's, and how they're still relevant today. Once we can do that, then we can move forward by making our own mark in new and exciting ways for our student's of the future. I look forward to doing both and eagerly accept the challenge.

Is It Okay To Be a Technologically Illiterate Teacher?

I can completely understand why Karl Fisch won the award for the most influential post of 2007. That blog entry was definitely ahead of its time. I agree a lot with Fisch in how far technology has come and how it is a part of our daily lives. My father is 60 years old and is more active on Facebook than me. I'm 22 years old and it's amazing what all has taken place just since this article was written and it's only going to continue. I depend on technology and I love it. Not only for my personal life, but there are plenty of ways I hope to utilize it more and more when I become a teacher.

The time we live in is changing rapidly and I think Karl hit the nail on the head when he said "If a teacher today is not technologically literate - and is unwilling to make the effort to learn more - it's equivalent to a teacher 30 years ago who didn't know how to read and write." That's a bold statement but it's one that is so true. I encourage everyone to embrace technology. Not run from it. One thing that I tell those i encounter who say they don't know how to use technology and never will is that it's not that difficult. I see a future where you almost have to know how to use it and use it well, or your future may not be a bright one.

Social Media Count by: Gary Hayes

This really opened up my eyes. I love statistics so this is right up my alley. It summarizes just how fast everything is changing. As a future teacher this screams to me many things. The longer we wait to get our student's involved in using technology for their own benefit the worse it's affecting them and their future.

Also, it tells me that if you're planning on getting into the teaching profession, you better get ready to adapt and roll with the times. Either be committed to it, or get out. With technology, social media, etc becoming more mainstream, you have to know how to use and learn to use future technology as it comes out. I believe GOogle+ is becoming the next Facebook. I believe the groundwork for how student's will learn in the classroom has recently been layed. Now we just have to learn how to incorporate it.



A Vision of Student's Today Video

This is a wonderful video. It highlights so many issues we as student's have to deal with today. "If these walls could talk, what would they say." "I buy $100 textbooks I never read." This video describes student's lives as they are right now. There is no telling how many textbooks i've bought and never really used. I think this video points out many flaws of our educational system.

If those walls could talk I think they would say that "Not much has changed." As I've pointed out before, that is good and bad. Good in that school for the most part has remained a constant in a world that changes too fast for most to keep up with. The negative side to that is that if there is one thing that should have changed with the times more so than anything else, it is school.

3 comments:

  1. I definitely understand where you are coming from in your first paragraph, but what about this... Technology, along with any other tool that allows expression, creativity, and ownership can help young people gain pride, take responsibility, and purpose. I think that is what makes the difference between a great teacher that helps instill all those values you appreciate. As you take this course, you can dismiss a lot of the things that we expose you to (I certainly have), but try to think of ways you can help your students explore, discover and make connections in their learning journey. I bet you'll find that technology is ideal for that type of investigative learning.

    Great post, by the way. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I also believe technology needs to be pushed and we need to find new ways to use it in the classroom. However, in my time in school, some of the best teacher's I had that had the most impact on my life were the old school teacher's that had been around since my parent's were in school. They taught me about the most important things in life. About family, values, honor, how to be a man, etc. Technology isn't needed for these things. I hope as future teachers, we don't lost sight of what some of the old school teacher's brought/bring to the table." Good point. However I would ask: does the use of technology result in the elimination of these teaching objectives. Or, if they are being lost, are there other explanations (such as the current fixation on tests)?

    "My father is 60 years old and is more active on Facebook than me." Wow! What's the explanation?

    I endorse Anthony's comments.

    Thoughtful. Well written (with some mistakes scattered here and there e.g. laid not layed, I not i [ i encounter], best teacher's should not be possessive, etc.).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jonathan, I enjoyed reading your post. I really like the point you made about the values your teachers instilled in you. As educators we will have a chance to profoundly impact the lives of our students. I hope you will impart the same good qualities you were taught into your future students. I'm also glad you see the importance of incorporating technology into your class, but also see the importance of developing good teaching fundamentals and skills. As Dr. Strange has already stated just proofread for minor mistakes. Once again excellent post and keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete