Sunday, August 28, 2011

Blog 1

My name is Jonathan Blain Giles.  Throughout my entire life, i've lived in Summerdale, AL.  I graduated from Foley High School in 2007.  I went to Bevil State Community College in Fayette, AL out of high school and lived there a short while and also a short stint in Tuscaloosa after i left Bevil.  After that I came back home to Summerdale.  I then went on to Faulkner State Community College and graduated from there.  That has lead me here to South Alabama.  My dream was to attend the University of Alabama, but that didn't work out.  Perhaps it was a blessing in disguise

In my immediate family, i'm the youngest of 4 children.  The oldest, Jeremiah Giles, graduated from South Alabama and went on to become a lawyer.  My other older brother Josh, and older sister Jodie, both graduated from Alabama with Josh becoming an assistant manager at Walgreen's and my sister, having just graduated, still looking for a job.  My mother is also a graduate of South Alabama.  She got her degree in accounting and has ran her own firm in Summerdale, AL for over 25 years now and my father has worked at Kimberly Clark Paper Company in Mobile, AL my whole life.

My major is physical education and I think the main reason i want to get into education is because i'm great with kids.  I always have been and i'm also great with sports.  I originally went to school for accounting, but i feel like this major suits me better.  As far as my passions go, i'd say i have 4.  My family, my girlfriend Kristen Phelps (who's also taking this class this semester), sports (mainly football), and my hobbies.  I'd like to learn more about football, which is why i'm getting my degree and helping out my high school this season and learning the fundamentals of coaching football right now.  In my spare time, I like to watch sports, make highlight video's, play video games, ride four wheeler's and hang out with my friends.

Randy Pausch Video Thoughts:

On the video regarding Randy Pausch, i learned quite a bit.  One of the weakest area's of my life is time management.  I can't stand doing things that I do not want to do.  Thus, i usually get behind in certain area's of my life and sometimes, i don't catch back up.  He offered up some good points about making a list of the things you want to do or accomplish in a day, week, month, and semester.  Then ask yourself why you're doing these things and the con to not doing them.  I think it can be beneficial to me to learn a thing or two from the Randy's video.  I don't know much about Pausch, except that he had cancer and he died from it.  I know he tried to use his remaining days being productive and doing seminars on time management.  I think the world of the man.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Jonathan!

    Welcome to EDM310! I hope this class doesn't beat you up too much, because it's really worth all the time you spend on it.

    We have a few things in common: my mom is an accountant and I used to live in Summerdale. Neat, huh?

    Capitalize your i's. My inner grammatician was mentally marking up your post with a red pen.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha I appreciate it. I'm so used to Word that corrects the lower cased "I's". I'll have it fixed for my next blog. Interesting about you're mom too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jonathan,

    We actually have a lot in common. I lived in the same small town my whole life too. Every Summer I go back and help out the football team and basketball teams with camp. It's such a rewarding feeling don't you think? I am also the youngest. How tough do you think it is to get a physical education teaching spot down here? I know back home, where I plan on returning after I graduate, it is near impossible. Best of luck to you in this class though.

    ReplyDelete